MOLO PLAZA, MOLO MANSION, MOLO CHURCH)

Located in Molo District which used to be the Municipality of Parian and once considered as the Athens of the Philippines, the Molo Plaza which was built in 1863 is a standout on its own. Prominent inside the plaza are the huge old Balete and Kalachuchi trees. It’s also the plaza in Iloilo City where there are prominent life-size statues of Greek Goddesses, infamous women warriors and the statue of Maria Clara.

 

Interestingly, its location is just across two more historical structures the Molo Mansion and the Molo Church.

 

The Molo Mansion, originally known as the Lacson-Yusay Mansion was built in 1926 by couple Estanislao Yulo Yusay and Dona Petra Lacson. Rosario Yusay, one of the couple’s ten children inherited it and lived in the mansion with her husband Timoteo Consing Sr. who served as Iloilo Governor from 1934 to 1937. The property was given to Timoteo Consing Jr. the governor’s son who eventually sold it the SM Group in 2014.

 

On the other hand, the Molo Church is not just a plain house of worship as it is considered as a feminist church given its all-women ensemble of saints that is represented in 16 statues placed on the aisle pillars. Neogothic in style, the church is one of the identities of Iloilo City and is considered as one of the city’s tourist attractions.